Like the look of a rustic decorative ladder but dislike the price tag? You’re in luck – today we’re sharing a DIY Blanket Ladder tutorial inspired by this Pottery Barn design. The best part? It will only cost you $10!
DIY Blanket Ladder
16 feet of wood for a ladder with 4 steps (two 8 ft long by 1 3/8 inch around wood pieces used in tutorial)
8 (2-1/2 inch) wood screws
Wood stain of your choosing (Minwax in Dark Walnut used in tutorial)
Felt pads (optional)
Clear lacquer (optional)
1. Start by cutting a 5 foot piece of wood from each 8 foot piece. These pieces will be the sides of the ladder.
2. From the remaining wood pieces, cut four 18 inch pieces of wood to create the horizontal steps of the ladder.
3. Lay the wood pieces on the ground, or another flat surface, to plan where you will place the steps of the ladder. In the ladder pictured, the bottom step is 18 inches from the ground, with each additional step 12 inches apart. However, you can adjust the distances as you see fit.
4. Once you have in piece in place, attach each horizontal piece with a wood screw on each side of each step.
5. Finally, stain your completed ladder in the color of your choice by following the directions on the stain can, and then let it dry completely. You can then finish your ladder with clear spray lacquer to prevent the stain from transferring onto your blankets.
Voila! You have a beautiful blanket ladder to add to your family room and you saved money! Let us know in the comments below if you attempt this tutorial and we’d love to see pictures! Tag us on social media @ProgressResidential.